Do I need a license to operate a business?
The city clerk issues licenses for the following:
  • Auctioneering
  • Billiard or pool hall
  • Bowling alley
  • Carnival
  • Cigarette
  • Circus
  • Clairvoyant
  • Fortune telling
  • House moving
  • Massage parlor
  • Menagerie
  • Motion picture show or exhibition
  • Palm reading
  • Pawn shop
  • Pawnbroker
  • Public exhibition of any kind
  • Second Metals Dealer
  • Secondhand Jewelry Dealer
  • Sexually Oriented Business
  • Show
  • Skating rink
  • Tattoo parlor

In addition, to serve or sell alcohol, a liquor license will be required. More information regarding liquor licensing is available at the State of Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division.

Persons planning to open a business should also check with the Planning and Zoning Department to ensure the location is properly zoned.

Some businesses require a fire permit or place of assembly permit. Please check with the fire chief to determine if your business would require one.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a license to operate a business?
2. I want to talk about something at a City Council meeting. How do I do that?
3. When and where does the City Council meet?
4. How do I find out who owns a property?